Wednesday 31 March 2010

60 SECONDS INTERVIEW: Keith Day

BRIDPORT town councillor Keith Day, 64, developed his interest in local politics after retiring from a career in commercial aviation and then the NHS.

Originally from Bristol, Councillor Day visited Bridport regularly for almost 20 years before eventually making the move with his wife 10-years-ago. He was followed shortly by his mother who he persuaded to join him on the coast.

Having retired, Councillor Day now fills his time as an advisor at Bridport Citizens’ Advice Bureau and as chairman of Bridport Conservatives, but he still finds time to walk his dogs.

Councillor Day was elected onto the town council in April last year following a local by-election.

YOU were elected as a town councillor a year ago, are you finding it rewarding?
Yes, but it is also so frustrating. There are so many things that I would like done to improve our town, but cannot because of the limitations of the powers of the town council. The council is so dominated by Lib Dems that little can be achieved without their agreement. However, I think that I have learned a lot from being a councillor and hope to use that knowledge in the future. The best thing about being a councillor is helping people and serving my fellow citizens. I would strongly recommend public service to anyone who wants to make a contribution to their community.

WHAT are the most important issues affecting Bridport at the moment?
Employment, education, housing and poverty. They are all linked in a vicious circle. Low expectations and achievement in education can result in poor job prospects, insecure employment and low income. This can lead on to acceptance of low quality housing and poverty in financial and attainment terms. I would like to see Bridport advertised as a place that welcomes new business, as well as making it more attractive to tourists. An improvement in employment prospects is the quickest and most effective way of breaking the cycle and helping everyone in this town.

ARE you still pleased you supported the new Lidl supermarket?
Yes, I am. I still believe there will be an overall beneficial effect for the people of Bridport. However, I do not like the ugly Travis Perkins building that is currently under construction, but I was unable to influence that proposal. I have to add that I am less sympathetic to the Spar shop opening in East Street. This shop will have a much more far-reaching impact on the town and the market than Lidl.

WHY did you choose the Conservative party?
All politics are compromises. All the main parties have some good ideas and I have some sympathy with the UKIP attitude to Europe and immigration. However, overall I believe the Conservatives have a good balance and the right ideas to get us out of the current mess.

WHERE do you see yourself in five years time?
I hope to be still living in and enjoying our unique town. I would like to continue as an advisor at Bridport Citizens’ Advice Bureau and if I still have the energy, I may consider standing as a district councillor. I want to avoid spreading myself so thinly that I cannot do everything well.

WHERE do you see Bridport in five years time?
I would like to see a thriving town, with high employment, decent affordable housing, but still retaining its unique and special character. It should be a town that is attractive to all ages and tastes. I would like to see improved approaches to the town; including the roundabouts (Yeovil does it well). A re-developed South West Quadrant that retains the ‘artisan’s area’ and incorporates it into a proper and sustainable plan, encouraging visitors to explore the town. I would also like to see the railway restored and operating. At West Bay, I would like to see some in-character buildings – not those awful flats. An end to the anti-social behaviour of some young motorists that causes annoyance to visitors and residents, together with a 20mph speed limit. I would like to see the Esplanade made more appealing with raised flower beds and The Mount made into a garden.

What was the last book you read, film you watched and CD you listened to?
Book: 'Break No Bones' by Kathy Reichs - a novel based on forensics; Film: 'In The Loop' - a political satire; CD - 'The Platinum Collection' by Jerry Lee Lewis, but only in my car - when I am alone.

WHO would be your three dream guests at a dinner party and why?
Abraham, Jesus and Mohammed. I am most certainly not a religious person but I would like them to tell me the real truth about their lives, and deaths, and ask them to explain why the religions they founded, apparently based on acceptance and forgiveness, have caused so much loss of life and conflict. Getting the correct food for them at a dinner party could be tricky though. Could I also have Barbara Woodhouse to show me how to make our two Yorkies come back every time they are called, please?

www.viewfromonline.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment