Wednesday 14 April 2010

60 SECONDS INTERVIEW: Dawn Street

AS WIFE of the town crier and with a job in the Tourist Information Centre, Dawn Street is definitely a well-known face around Lyme Regis.

Dawn says she’s “proud to be born and bred in Lyme Regis,” having attended St Michael’s Primary and the Woodroffe School before going to catering college in Weymouth.

She met husband Phil when playing Cinderella in the local pantomime in 1985, when he was working the spotlights. They have now been married almost 25 years and have two children, 16-year-old Luke and Amy, 14.

WHAT do you like the most about living in Lyme Regis?
Lyme Regis is just wonderful especially the views when driving in from Sidmouth Road and Charmouth Road. The community spirit is second to none and I love walking through the streets knowing that I’m walking the footsteps of my ancestors. It’s also great to have family and friends on your door step.

WHAT would you change about the town if you could?
It would be great to have the coast path re-introduced and be safe from landslips. I would like to see The Three Cups Hotel and the Boys’ Club back in operation and a public convenience at the top of the town.

WHAT do you enjoy about working in the Tourist Information Centre?
I love meeting a variety of customers, both local and visitors. It gives me great satisfaction knowing that I’ve helped with their enquiries and they leave happy. Not forgetting to mention working with a great team of people.

WHAT would you recommend as the top local attraction?
We are lucky to have such a good choice of quality attractions in and around the town, it would be difficult to choose one in particular.

WHAT do you enjoy about being the town crier’s wife?
Being associated with a long-standing tradition, together with meeting other town criers and visiting their respective towns.

WHAT is your favourite local event to take part in?
I can’t single out a particular event, as all events are unique and have great atmosphere and I enjoy them all.

WHAT are your personal interests and hobbies?
I love music, films, TV and theatre. I’m involved with the local pantomime society and with my love of films, it’s great to work at the Regent Cinema also.

IF YOU could play any character or star in any show, who or what would it be?
This is a hard one to answer as I love so many musicals, but the first one that comes to mind is “Chicago” and either characters Roxy and Velma because of the energy, dance and music. However, I’m not sure if I could get away with the skimpy clothes!

WHAT three items would you like with you if you were stranded on a desert island?
An iPod with my favourite music, a solar powered TV and a comfortable bed.

WHICH three people would you invite to a dinner party?
Gino D’Acampo to cook a fantastic meal and listen to his lovely accent, Donny Osmond as I have met him briefly, but I would like to get to know him better and sing a duet. Although recently deceased, Michael Jackson, as he could show me some good dance moves.

WHAT would you do if you won the lottery?
Apart from the obvious like house, holiday and family security, I would like to help local good causes who are in need of finance.

WHAT is your ideal holiday destination?
Lyme Regis of course! St Lucia would be one choice as it’s where I was married and Bermuda would be another choice, as I have made many friends through the twinning association and there are fantastic beaches and relaxed atmosphere.

www.viewfromonline.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment