Wednesday 16 June 2010

60 SECONDS INTERVIEW: Neil Vincent


NEIL Vincent has been working at the Woodroffe School in Lyme Regis for the past four years where he is head of the maths department.

He was born in the Midlands but moved to Milton Keynes where he lived throughout his teenage years before going to the University of Nottingham where he studied for a degree in maths.

He now lives in Stockland, near Honiton with his wife, who also works at the school, and their daughter Rosie.

Mr Vincent is a sport enthusiast, with a special passion for running. It has played a big part in his life for the past 12 years and this year he was granted the chance to run in the London Marathon.

WHAT do you like about your job?
I like working at Woodroffe because it’s a great school in a great area and I enjoy motivating students and helping people to understand why maths is fascinating and how much they need it for working life.

WHAT would you change about the school if you could?
I would like to see more cross-curricular projects where the students have more flexibility and choice about what they do.

WHAT are your main interests and hobbies?
As everyone knows I really enjoy running, and cycling as well, most sports to be honest.

SO, you ran the London Marathon recently, why did you choose to do so?
It’s something I’ve always wanted to do. It’s taken six years of applying before I got a place. I ran for Macmillan Cancer Relief because of people I know who had lost their lives to cancer.

WHAT did you wear for the run?
I wore the Macmillan bright green top, which was great because they have cheer stations along the way and everyone cheers you from Macmillan and having about 100 people cheering your name as your running along is fantastic

WHAT was your training like for the marathon?
I trained for about four months, running four times a week, sometimes at six in the morning and built up my distance to just under the distance of the marathon. If I get a place, I’m planning on running the London Marathon again next year and I might do some local runs in the meantime.

WHAT is your ideal holiday destination?
A lovely coastal town, somewhere in Morocco

IF YOU could play any character in any show, who would it be?
I think Gavin out of Gavin and Stacey is quite funny so probably him.

WHAT would you do if you won the lottery?
If I won the lottery I would probably buy a few nice things like a bike and a big house and then put the money into a savings account and think what to do.

WHAT three items would you take with you if you were stranded on a desert island?
A calculator! No, I would probably take my digital radio, a surfboard so I can enjoy the surf and a lighter so I could cook anything that I would catch.

www.viewfromonline.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment