Wednesday 4 August 2010

60 SECONDS INTERVIEW: Tony Bartlett



TONY Bartlett, 71 is the West Bay pitch and putt golf course equivalent of the resident pro. Having spent nine years manning the greens Tony knows everything there is to know about the course and boasts an impressive 34 score round the challenging nine holes.

When not manning the pitch and putt Tony still keeps active on the bowling green, at the fishing lake or on the badminton court. He also works on his own golfing technique at Bridport Golf Course and follows his beloved Tottenham Hotspur Football Club.

Now divorced Tony lives on his own in Salway Ash, and is quick to share his love for the village that has been his home since retiring to Dorset.

This week Tony reveals what attracted him to the area, what football team he’d send to Room 101 and the pitch and putt record he challenges any golfers to beat.

WHAT made you retire to Dorset?
My wife and I always said we would retire to Cornwall but we always came down through Dorset and we stayed at a friends caravan in Seatown. Then one day my wife said why don’t we live in Dorset and I couldn’t think of any serious reason why we shouldn’t. We just wanted to be by the sea, which is what everybody wants when they live in the middle of the country. We happened to spot the house in Salway Ash and it’s a lovely village.

HOW did you end up working at the pitch and putt course?
I got this job by default, I helped a bloke out a couple of weekends and then he said ‘I’m moving to Ireland’, I finished the season and I then just kept doing it. I’ve been here for eight years and the guy I work with has done 13 years, and he looks as though he has as well! He’s a nice bloke and we get on really well.

WHAT is the best part of your job?
I think its meeting people, we get some really nice people coming down here and they pay me to get a suntan of course.

WHAT tips would you give to new golfers?
Well the only tips I can give them is what Dave Parsons, the pro at Bridport Golf Course, told me. Line up the feet so there is a parallel line between the tee off point and the hole. Once you’ve got that parallel all you do then is concentrate on your swing, but as I was a cricketer Dave had to work on mine a lot. I have only been playing golf since I moved down here. My old cricket captain said that if he saw me on a golf range he wouldn’t pick me for cricket anymore because it would mess up my technique and, if he reads this, ‘you were wrong’. I wish I had played earlier because it’s a good game.

WHAT'S the record round the pitch and putt course?
I believe it was done in less than 27 when it first opened. Since I’ve been here the best score is 28, which is one over par. He was a young lad and only failed to par the ninth hole and he was gutted. His dad went round with him that day and got 29 but no one has got anywhere near that since. The best I’ve done here is 34. I find it almost as hard as the real course. It’s an excellent little facility because with the raised greens you can’t loft it and hold it on the greens.

WHAT do you think of Tottenham Hotspur's chances this coming season?
I’m not as hopeful as most of the Spurs supporters. They played really well last year and have got a really good squad but the problem is they are only in the preliminary round of the Champions League and if they don’t win that then it’s all been a waste of time. I’m Spurs through and through and I wear my kit down here to wind people up. If you’re wearing your Spurs shirt you can go round for free but if you’re in a Manchester United shirt it’s a tenner!

WHO would be your three dream guests at a dinner party?
I’d have the 1961 Spurs football team, Cheryl Cole because I think Newcastle girls are lovely and probably a lady from Washingpool Farm, and that’s all I’m going to say on that.

WHICH three items would you put into Room 101?
I’d get rid of the bloke who set up our immigration system, because that really winds me up. Manchester United Football Club, especially the manager because he is such a big hypocrite. Finally the Aussie cricket team, I think we’ll get a real shock when we go and play them over there.

IF YOU had been a leading player in any sport which would you choose?
Although I love football and cricket I would choose golf. It’s not about teams or opponents, it’s about you and your mental capacity to play all these different courses, and they’re all different.

No comments:

Post a Comment