Wednesday 22 September 2010

60 SECONDS INTERVIEW: Jamie Issacs



YOUNG entrepreneur Jamie Isaacs, 17, has lived in Beaminster since the age of five having moved to the town from London.

Having discovered a love for the technical side of the arts during his childhood theatre training Jamie setup his own company after leaving school. DJAY Southwest now provides professional sound and lighting for live music and theatre across the West Country and further afield.

When not providing the technical support Jamie can often be found on the stage himself, most recently as the villain in the Bridport Pantomime and as the leading man in Bridport Musical Theatre Company’s production of 'Anything Goes'.

Jamie has also received international exposure this month with a small speaking role in the film Tamara Drewe.

Away from performing Jamie also enjoys kayaking and exploring the Dorset countryside.

WHAT do you like most about West Dorset?
With my main interests being in theatre and music, there is a large wealth of music events and community productions to keep me occupied in my spare time.

WHAT prompted you to start your own business at such a young age?
It’s a good excuse to have a hole punch.

WHAT advice would you give to other young businessmen?
I find a good team is one of the most important things you can have. Another thing that we take seriously is our branding – learning graphic design has been really useful both at work and for the amateur organisations I’m involved with.

WHAT are the best shows you have worked on with DJAY?
Some of the main highlights of my year have been rigging for the James Taylor Quartet and working with Howe Gelbe, an alternative country artist – he was very cool. But my favourite gig this year would have to be working on tour with Show of Hands as their lighting engineer.

WHAT are your earliest memories of performing?
One of my memories of performing when I was young was in the Bridport Operatic’s production of 'The King and I', which was the first show I took part in, in Bridport.

WHAT is the best show you have appeared in?
One of the best shows I performed in was one of my first professional roles with Ellen Kent Opera International when I was part of the child chorus in 'Turandot' and 'Tosca' at the Bournemouth Pavilion.

WHAT would be your dream acting role?
I couldn’t answer that until I’ve acted it.

HOW did you land the part in Tamara Drewe?
I had a phone call from a friend who was hosting the audition; he invited me to come along. I performed to camera and that was later sent to Pinewood for casting. The second assistant director then called me to offer me the role.

WHAT did you make of your appearance in the film?
To be honest I didn’t even know if I was going to be in it! I knew that having gone through the audition process and being on set didn’t necessarily mean I’d be in the final edit, but I must admit that I was quite relieved to see myself on the screen.

WHO would be your three dream guests at a dinner party and why?
I’d really love to invite John Martyn to a dinner party but I know he would be a nightmare. Liam Neeson and my girlfriend.

WHAT was the last book you read, film you watched and CD you listened to?
I don’t read very often but I’m currently half way through Sogyal Rinpoche’s book 'The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying'. Recently the DJAY team set up a ridiculously large surround sound system to rewatch the awesome Gladiator. In the office I listen to music from lots of different formats – we love Spotify for instance – one of my current favourites is Imogen Heap.

No comments:

Post a Comment