Wednesday 22 January 2014

60 SECOND INTERVIEW: Mike Kelly


MIKE Kelly, planning consultant, was born in Barnet and went to school in Muswell Hill. He worked in an insurance company but hated it and went to work at County Hall, London, before coming to Weymouth in 1977. He is president of Weymouth and Portland Access Group.

WHY do you live in Weymouth?
Because it is a wonderful place. When I retired from Weymouth & Portland Borough Council my wife and I thought about moving to Ross-on-Wye, but we discovered that Weymouth had too big a hold on us and we stayed.

WHERE do you go for your holidays?
The last one was in Scotland, but Portugal and Spain are our favourites because of the sun.

WHAT is your favourite time of the year?
Spring because the year is coming to life and everything is growing.

WHAT is your favourite film?
Far From the Madding Crowd. I knew one of the extras who appeared in several scenes and it is a film which has always fascinated me.

WHAT is the scariest thing that has ever happened to you?
In 1967 I was mountain climbing in Norway and I lost my grip on a rock face. I only saved myself by grabbing a sapling otherwise it would have been bad. It was an awful long way down.

IF YOU could live your life again what would you be?
I did used to wonder about teaching, but I am not sure that I could handle 30 children!

WHICH three people would you invite to your dream dinner party?
Mo Farah because his story from war-torn and poverty-stricken Somalia to run for us in the Olympic Games must be a remarkable one, Jo Brand because she is such a good comedienne and Ray Davies from The Kinks, because he went to the school next to mine and our pupils used to fight their pupils!

WHAT would you do if you won the Lottery?
Travel a lot more of the world and I would also help two brilliant schemes – The MEMO Project and Jurassica – which will put Portland firmly on the map.

WHAT do you hope the future holds?
I hope that I have good health and that Weymouth gets the appreciation it deserves.


www.viewfromonline.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment