Wednesday 13 May 2015

60 SECOND INTERVIEW: Dave Abbott


DAVE Abbott was born in Swindon, moved to Weymouth in 1964 and went to school at Westhaven Junior School and Westham Secondary Modern School. He studied catering and was a chef for several years before going into retail including 19 years with the former Weymouth DIY shop Dodgsons. Currently he runs a beach kiosk.

WHY do you live in Weymouth?
Because I love the place and I couldn’t think of anywhere else I would rather live.

WHERE do you go for your holidays?
Normally in the UK. I love walking so it tends to be West Wales, the Lake District, Yorkshire and Cornwall, all over.

WHAT is your favourite time of the year?
Summer, because it always has happy people and lots of colour and vibrancy. The whole town comes alive.

WHAT is your favourite film?
Papillon because I have read the book, it is a true story and it was amazing acting by Steve McQueen.

WHAT is the scariest thing that has ever happened to you?
Getting knocked off my bike by a hit and run driver who didn’t stop. It smashed by helmet, cut my legs and shook me up for ages afterwards. Fortunately, a passing woman took the driver’s number and he got his cum-uppance later!

IF you could live your life again what would you be?
A professional cricketer. I love the game, I played it for most of my life at local level and I only gave up when my knees gave out.

WHICH three people would you invite to your dream dinner party?
Gary Sobers because he is a cricket legend and probably the greatest all rounder who has ever lived; Thomas Hardy because I enjoy reading his books and I would love to get an insight into the man; and Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits because I love his music and because he is a magician with lyrics.

WHAT would you do if you won the Lottery?
I would probably go to Australia for the culture, for the cricket and for the Outback, but I’d still want to come back to Weymouth.

WHAT do you hope the future holds?
Retirement. I want to work but my knees don’t!

No comments:

Post a Comment