Wednesday 16 December 2009

60 SECOND INTERVIEW: Tracey Haughton

TRACEY Haughton was born in Devon and lived on a farm for the early part of her life. She is a single mum to three children Andrew, Jackie and Chris.

When Tracey left school she went to collage and worked with horses for eight years, which was a very happy time in her life.

Tracey has lived in Chard most of her life and loves the fact that when she walks down the street, she passes so many people she knows.

Tracey has always been a country girl through and through and appreciates the surroundings of the area.

Tracey fell ill with bi-polar disorder five-years-ago and it has been an emotional rollercoaster for herself and her family.

The good news is that Tracey has been able to maintain a good sense of well being for the last two years. She has been a member of Chard intentional peer group for a year and a half and has gained many benefits from it.

Tracey is now studying at college in holistic massage and will start training in the New Year and hopefully a new job in April.


WHY are you doing a charity sky dive?

My friend Shelly and I thought it would be a great idea to do the jump for charities we have personally received support from. Mine is for CIPS and Shelly’s is for SCBU. I’m not the best when it comes to heights so it definitely has the fear and the ‘do it anyway’ factor. I am hoping to do the jump at the airfield that my grandfather was based in World War II. I hold so many happy memories of the area, and so to see it from a birds-eye view will be breath taking. That is if I have my eyes open during the 15,000ft descent.

CAN you explain what Chard Intentional Peer Group do?

It is a mutual group for people who have had personal experience of mental health. We meet once a week to give each other support, with the intent to move forward and towards the things we value in life as individuals, whatever that may be. We hold courses, training and projects within the community to gain new skills, confidence and create a better sense of well-being. It also has a social element, which is great as many people experiencing mental health have difficulties with isolation.

WHY have the group decided to write a book?

The group have been having an on going creative writing course, which has been uplifting and inspiring for me personally. We all felt it would be great to raise funds for the project and have had backing from the NLDC grant and recently from the primary care trust. We are writing about our own individual experiences to help our personal journeys of recovery and to give others hope and knowledge that they are not alone. Also to challenge beliefs and break barriers surrounding mental health issues. With a positive approach to maintaining well being.

HOW important is it to talk to someone if you are feeling down?

I think it’s vital to have someone to talk to when experiencing difficult times, in an environment which feels safe. To be able to talk to people who have similar shared experiences is a big benefit. My mum used to say ‘a problem shared is a problem halved’. Although talking to someone when you are suffering with extreme depression, may not take all the feelings away, it helps to see things in a different light. It helps reduce the isolation of feelings and helps gain a more positive outlook on life.

WHAT makes you happy?

Spending time with my three children Andrew, Jackie and Christopher and people I love and care about. Music and dancing, which I do most days, a walk by the sea, camping with my children and friends, inspirational people, the hippy side of me, most things creative and a decent cup of tea.

WHAT is your new years resolution?

I would like to be driving by the end of the summer and just to cut down on the less healthy things in my life.

WHAT do you want for Christmas?

I would like for everyone to be happy and to have a good time. I am hoping Santa brings me a new toaster, mine has a mind of its own at breakfast time and either chucks it out still looking like bread, or evokes a dance with coats when the smoke alarm goes off. Mornings are not the same without my daily intake of marmite.

WHO would be your three dream guests over for Christmas dinner?

Annie Lennox because she’s been an inspiration through out my life, it would be great to congratulate her in person for the life time achievement award. My second would be Whoopi Goldberg, such a talented lady, whose made me shed a few tears and given me hours and hours of laughter. The third would be pink, she’s brilliant and doesn’t care and is not afraid to be different from what is expected of her. She is so passionate about what she believes in.

WHAT are your best and worst Christmas presents?

My best Christmas present was when I got my first real guitar. I say real because for a long while before I had to take a toy one to guitar practice. The worst present I ever had would be the last I received from my dad, as Christmas will not be the same without him, would have been great to have a lot more.

WHO would be your phone a friend on who wants to be a millionaire?

I suppose it would depend on the question. Anything scientific it would be my oldest son who has an amazing brain when it comes to that sort of thing. For most other categories it would be my friend Ann who is one of the most knowledgeable and wisest people I have ever met.

WHO are your favourite fictional family?

My favourite fictional families would be all the ones from Enid Blyton’s books, such as ‘the enchanted tree’ ‘far away farm secret seven ‘and the famous five’. I always had my head in one of her books as they were full of adventure and magical places, and I now collect early additions.

www.viewfrompublishing.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment