Wednesday 16 December 2009

LYME MATTERS with Philip Evans

Bill kissed all the ladies!

ON SATURDAY I attended my favourite local event - the annual Christmas lunch for the town’s senior citizens.

And before you say it, no I didn’t sit down with the other over 70s!

I don’t want to call them old folk because many of them are not - especially in frame of mind.

I always look forward to covering this event because it’s a chance to have a bit of fun and banter with people who are a generation or two older than me whom I grew up to respect and admire.

People like Bill Reed, recently honoured by the Queen with the MBE for his services to the community.

Although getting in and out of the Alexandra Hotel is a bit of an ordeal these days, Bill and his like never allow their lack of mobility to get in the way of a very enjoyable afternoon.

I gave Bill a helping hand to his table and I swear he kissed every lady - on the way in and on the way out!

There are definite benefits in getting the MBE.

The annual Christmas Dinner for the over 70s has been a part of the festive celebrations in Lyme for several decades now. It gives the town the opportunity of showing its gratitude to those who have made Lyme what it is today.

Amazingly, one of the main organisers is former mayor and everyone’s favourite fundraiser Barbara Austin who should be sat down with the rest of the guests enjoying the traditional Christmas fayre.

She’s been playing a crucial role in the organising of this event for many years now - and we’ve told her she’s got to organise at least another 20 before she can join in with the rest of them.

Barbara is one of a small team of volunteers led by Owen Lovell who raise the funds and organise the day. They’ve got it down to a real art and everyone has a lovely time.

The youngsters in the town - Junior Band and primary school pupils - do their bit by entertaining the guests and the staff at the Alex do a marvellous job.

Thanks must also go to those who donate funds to help finance the lunch, including Gail Caddy at The Rock Point and the Regatta and Carnival Committee.

The Christmas Dinner committee hold several fundraising events during the year and are also one of the recipients of profits from the Lyme Regis Community Bingo sessions. This enables the committee to give everyone who attends a little Christmas gift.

They deserve it.


A year I want to forget

THIS is my last column of the year - a year I will be glad to put behind me.

I was dogged with ill health for a big part of 2009 but thank my blessings that I am well on the road to recovery and looking forward to the challenges of 2010.

It has also been the toughest year in my business life. In September 2008 View from Publishing, the limited company that runs this newspaper, was going great guns with advertising revenues up 33 per cent on the previous year.

We had a stable of community newspapers in 13 towns in West Dorset, East Devon and South Somerset and were planning further expansion in Dorset.

But then the credit crunch started to bite and with every local newspaper in the country suffering likewise, advertising revenues plummeted and I was forced to sell my East Devon papers to keep my talented and dedicated staff in work.

November and the early part of December are usually our best weeks of the year - but not in 2009. Hopefully, we will survive and enjoy better and less worrying times in 2010.

I’m handing next week’s column over to my daughter Francesca, who is back from university for Christmas, and I will be back in the New Year.

I would just like to say a heartfelt thanks to our readers and advertisers for their support and kindness over the past 12 months.

I hope you all have a very peaceful Christmas and that Lyme will continue to prosper in 2010.

www.viewfrompublishing.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment