Monday 7 December 2009

WEYMOUTH MATTERS with Harry Walton

It’s easy to support this really worthwhile charity

A STROLL round a recent health day saw me stumble across a really great little charity called Tools With A Mission.

They take everything from old typewriters to sewing machines or garden tools and give them to less fortunate people all over the world so they can earn a living and support themselves.

Items sent recently ranged from knitting machines, computers and printers to kits for mechanics, metalworkers, leatherworkers, plumbers, carpenters and builders as well as bicycles and repair kits, wheelchairs, drills, school books and sewing kits. The list is endless.

What struck me was how useful this charity really is.

For instance, many people who love gardening have tools standing idle in a shed or garage when they finally have to give their pastime up. So why not give them to TWAM and take pleasure in somebody else putting them to really good use?

If you feel the same way and have any of the items mentioned then give John and Wendy Hilton a ring on 01305 267098.

Feeling partial to a Polish plum

CHRISTMAS can be a time for treats if you can find what you like.

Some time ago I became very partial to Polish plums in chocolate which could be bought from a shop in Weymouth town centre.

Then they suddenly became unavailable and I was told that the Poles had woken up to how good they were and the amount being exported had plunged.

I tried everything to get a box from asking friends going to Poland to get me one to ringing up expensive outlets in the hope its rarity value might have encouraged them to stock a box, but not a nibble.

Years went by and I had almost forgotten about them, but times change and the Polish community in Weymouth is strong enough now to have seen a Polish delicatessen open in King Street.

I had a few minutes spare the other day and dropped in to ask about the chocolates.

Yes they had some in, I was told, and two boxes were promptly snapped up on the spot before the mirage could disappear. Thank you, Santa!


Completely sick of the new gold rush

IF I see one more advert for scrap gold on the television I shall scream!

Gushing tributes from this “lucky” divorcee flogging off her first wedding ring to that expert talking about the rocketing price of gold have left me really brassed off.

You can’t watch a commercial station without being importuned for your spare gold and I’ve lost count of the conversations I’ve heard round Weymouth between people who are wary of the gold grab and others who are quite clearly tempted by the prospect of what seems to be easy cash.

Naturally I’ve got tons of the stuff lying around in the garden in heaps just beneath my rainbow.

Things are now so bad that, even though Christmas is barely three weeks away, there appear to be more gold adverts than toy adverts and that takes some doing.

We’ve even had flyers through the letterbox offering to buy any unwanted gold we have. I mean, I ask you! Unwanted gold!

So I’d like to announce that I’ve carefully gone through the entire house, put all our spare gold into sacks and done a fantastic swap deal with a very nice man who knocked on our front door.

I’m now waiting for our magic beans to grow….


I’ll stick to the Bordeaux!

SEX can now be bought on a coat hanger in Weymouth.

Two women were in a store’s fashion department and the key topic of conversation was the weekend’s night out in the town.

Both were apparently in the market for new outfits but neither wanted to appear “tarty” and so were asking each other’s advice.

“Do you thinks this shows my boobs too much?” asked one and was reassured she was OK only to be asked in turn for her opinion on a skirt which, to say the least, appeared to be slashed some way beyond daring.

The reply was: “All men want really is beer and sex, so if you buy that all you’ve got to worry about is the beer!”

This convulsed them both and each headed for the till leaving me to contemplate a somewhat less racy evening in with only a rather nice glass of Bordeaux to shield me from the hysteria of Strictly X Factor. It’s a hard life.

Harry Walton can be contacted on 01305 787843 or email hdswalton@yahoo.co.uk


www.viewfrompublishing.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment