Wednesday 21 July 2010

60 SECOND INTERVIEW: Emily Weeks


AFTER a year of volunteering Emily Weeks, 23, has just landed the position of Fundraising Officer for Bridport Museum. Having completed a degree in Film and American Literature, at the University of East Anglia, Emily took up volunteer roles at the Museum of South Somerset in Yeovil and Bridport Museum. Initially just a hobby to fill her time as she job hunted, Emily decided she liked the job so much that she applied for an official post. Having successfully landed the role, made available to 18 to 24-year-olds by the Dorset County Council Future Jobs Fund, Emily is now preparing for a busy fundraising period with exciting new museum developments on the horizon.

WHAT does your job involve?
Fundraising, applying for various bits of grant money, running events and thinking of ways we can conjure up some money for the museum. We have a tea party and book sale on September, 19th as part of the hat festival weekend and we are organising a treasure hunt for August.

WHAT are your views on the potential move to the former Literary and Scientific Institute building?
I think it would be really good. I haven’t actually been inside the building yet but I am hoping to go this week. It sounds amazing; we could have everything in one building and expand on what we currently have. We could have a bigger shop and maybe a cafĂ© and space to rent out as well. It’s not too far from the Local History Centre to the museum but sometimes we do have to ferry people across.

WHAT are the most interesting parts of Bridport’s past?
I think all the hanging history and the Bridport Dagger gets a good reception from the public, sometimes it’s good and sometimes it’s not so good. I think all the little personal items you get in smaller community museums are quite nice as well, the letters and things like that.

DO YOU think the museum attracts people from outside the area?
I think so, we have had good numbers this year and it’s a place people come on holiday quite a lot and they will often have a poke about in the town and come to the museum.

WHERE do you see yourself in five years time?
I could possibly still be doing something in museums. I want to do something that interests me and that I can give something to. I would like to use my degree a bit more, I love literature so perhaps going more into the marketing side or publishing, but I’m not sure.

WHICH three dream guests would you invite to a dinner party?
My great granddad because he made really cool cricket balls and I have never met him. I don’t know if he was famous for it but we do have a cricket ball with our name on. I might invite Shakespeare, it would be cool to hang out with him for a bit and I think he would get on with my great granddad. I’d have someone alive to liven things up a bit as well, probably David Tennant.

WHAT was the last book you read, CD you listened to and film you watched?
The last book I read was The Eyre Affair, the last CD was Buckcherry and the last film I watched was Brotherhood of the Wolf, which is sort of a supernatural French film.

WHICH three books would you take to a desert island?
I’d take Wuthering Heights because it’s brilliant, I love it. I’d take His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman and I’d take something really long so I don’t get bored like Paradise Lost.

WHICH era in history would you like to go back to?
I’d like to go back to 1920’s America as long as I was really rich and then I would come back just before the big crash. I think it was a glamorous and decadent period but then it all went downhill.

WHICH three items would you put into Room 101?
Dogs, I don’t like dogs. Bad film adaptations from books to film and baked beans, they’re horrible, I’ve never been able to eat them ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment