Wednesday 7 July 2010



Summer’s here already!

WELCOME back to my Summertime in Lyme column. Over the next two months I’ll be filling you in on all the summer news and events, which help make Lyme Regis such a popular holiday spot.

I was glad to get home just in time for the start of the summer season. I finished the second year of my journalism degree in Southampton a few weeks ago and then headed to London for a week of work experience at the Daily Mirror.

Getting a taste of working at a national newspaper in the capital was an exciting experience. I was even lucky enough to get a free day out at Wimbledon and, in true summer spirit, enjoyed strawberries and cream on Henman Hill.

Despite the free days out, I can’t imagine spending my summer anywhere else than by the seaside. So my camera and I are ready to cover all the upcoming events… and there will be plenty to choose from.

The town is already starting to get busy and will soon be packed-out for this season’s biggest events, Lifeboat Week, which starts later this month, and Regatta and Carnival Week in August.

If you have an event or news you would like to promote in this column, please phone me on 01297 446155 or email francesca@pemedia.co.uk.


A good excuse to buy a new dress!

I’M looking forward to this weekend as it’s Lyme Regis Football Club’s presentation night with special guest, former West Ham and England striker Tony Cottee.

Tony was the guest speaker at a sporting dinner my Dad organised last year and as patron of the club for our 125th anniversary year Tony agreed to come back to Lyme for the annual bash.

The annual dinner and awards always turns out to be a good night and this year the club has one of its most successful seasons ever to celebrate.

It also gives us “WAGs” an excuse to buy a new dress!

I’ll have Saturday to recover before switching my high heels for trainers and running the 5KM Race For Life in Exeter, in aid of Cancer Research UK, on Sunday.

I’m not exactly a fitness freak. In fact, my family would agree I like everything that’s bad for me a little too much (trait of a true Evans, says Dad). But over the past few weeks I’ve been jogging around the flattest route I could find in Lyme to prepare myself.

If anyone would like to sponsor me, visit www.raceforlifesponsorme.org/chezzie-evans. I’ll let you know how it goes next week.


Event of the Week

LYME loves a good parade and the Jazz Festival’s decorated umbrella procession is top of the list for putting you in a cheerful mood.

The umbrellas certainly weren’t needed in Saturday’s perfect weather, but they looked bright and colourful as they danced down Broad Street led by lady marshal Val Chambers, town crier Phil Street and the upbeat Louisiana Parade Band.

I think the Jazz Festival organising committee tried extra hard this year, selling rainbow umbrellas to passers-by who wanted to take part, and handing out Mardi Gras style beads to everyone involved.

It’s my favourite parade of the year and definitely event of the week.

Well done to John Fry and all the festival organisers and I hope there are many more to come.


Five things to do this weekend

1 Support you local! – Soak up the sunshine at the Talbot Arms Beer Festival in Uplyme. The weekend event will include live entertainment from the Uplyme Morris Men, Three Counties Swing Band and Papa Le Gal, screening of the British Grand Prix and World Cup final, a hog roast and skittles (most entertainment on Sunday).

2 Trace Mary Anning’s footsteps – Professional tour guide Natalie Manifold will be exploring old Lyme, the way famous fossil hunter Mary would have seen it from 3.30pm on Saturday, organised by Lyme Regis Museum (booking advisable).

3 Learn to row – Lyme Regis Gig Club will be holding a taster session at 11.30am on Sunday. For more information or to book your place, email Henry Barlow at henrycbarlow@google-mail.com

4 Watch the World Cup final – So England didn’t make it, but get in the summer spirit, have a barbecue with friends and watch the football. If you don’t fancy hosting, there’s plenty of pubs around Lyme that will be screening the big game.

5 Enjoy a spot of music – Lyme Regis Town Band will be holding one of their popular Sunday afternoon concerts in the Marine Parade shelters from 2.30pm.


DON’T forget to buy your Lifeboat Week programmes, now available around the town for £1.50.


www.viewfromonline.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment