Thursday 10 February 2011

60 SECOND INTERVIEW: Jodie Glover



THEATRE lover Jodie Glover, 17, will this week be setting off to London to chase her West End dreams. Having begun performing in Bridport at the age of 10, Jodie has had principal roles with Bridport Musical Theatre Company (BMTC), Marvellous Amateur Dramatics (MAD) and Encore Theatre Club as well as many others.

Most recently she played the lead role of Peggy Sawyer in BMTC’s production of '42nd Street' at the Bridport Arts Centre. This year she will be auditioning for stage schools in London, with her first appointment this week at the famous Italia Conti Academy.

Back home in Bridport, Jodie is lead choreographer in her school’s entry for Rock Challenge, an international dance competition promoting moral lifestyles for teenagers.

Jodie’s next theatre role in Bridport will be as Angie in the Madness musical 'Our House'. The show is the latest production from MAD who will be performing in Bridport for the first time. The show will run from March 31st to April 2nd at the Electric Palace.

HOW did you first become involved with theatre?
When I was about 10 I joined a theatre school and went every Saturday. I loved it, but it cost a lot so I had to be pulled out. So I joined Bridport Operatic Workshop and have been performing in community shows since.

WHAT has been your favourite role?
It’s a tie between Scaramouche in We Will Rock You, Helena in A Midsummer Night’s Dream and Peggy Sawyer in 42nd Street as they’re all so different.

DO YOU have any memories of embarrassing moments on stage?
I remember in a primary school play I was the Rooster in Rooster Rag, I had to run across the stage at one point and the stage pallets separated. As I fell through the gap the set fell down on top of me. I just pulled myself up and carried on running.

ARE you like your character in Our House?
I would say she’s a louder version of me. I think we have the same sense of humour but I wouldn’t have the guts to say the stuff she says out loud.

WHAT are your favourite songs in the show?
I really like the full cast numbers such as 'Baggy Trousers,' 'Our House' and 'Tomorrow’s Just Another Day'. My two favourites however are 'Wings Of A Dove', as I love the Caribbean theme and the fact it’s set in Las Vegas, and 'Driving In My Car' which is a really comical number.

IF YOU'RE not a fan of Madness would you still enjoy the show?
I definitely think so. The storyline is different to every other type of musical and the lead character has such a technically hard part to play, including 27 costume changes, it’s definitely worth watching.

DO YOU prefer the modern musicals or the old favourites?
It’s a real mix. I grew up watching all the old films, my favourites were Calamity Jane and Summer Holiday. But now I really enjoy discovering new musicals; I really like Rent and Wicked at the moment.

WHAT would be your dream West End role?
I would love to play Scaramouche again but this time in London instead of school. However, my ultimate target is to play Christine Daae in The Phantom of the Opera.

WHAT is Rock Challenge?
Rock Challenge is a global dance comepetition. Its aim is to promote healthy living and a natural high without the aid of smoking, drugs or alcohol. Each year thousands of schools worldwide compete with a eight minute themed dance that sends out a message to all those who watch it. Our regional heat is at Southampton Guildhall on February 28th. Our theme for this year’s Rock Challenge is about generation stereotypes. We believe that generations don’t respect and listen to each other anymore, so our dance shows a group of unwilling school children listening to the story of a Blitz survivor.

WHAT was the last book you read, film you watched and CD you listened to?
'Remember Me?' by Sophie Kinsella, Carousel and the Rent soundtrack.

WHO would be your three dream guests at a dinner party and why?
Idina Menzel a Broadway, TV and film star and also my idol; Audrey Hepburn, as she’s an absolute icon; and Regina Spektor, my favourite singer.

No comments:

Post a Comment