Friday 4 February 2011

60 SECOND INTERVIEW



IN a special 60-second interview this week, year six pupils from St Michael’s Primary School in Lyme Regis have used their newly learnt journalism skills to grill their own headteacher Ms Annabelle Grose.

After a visit from View from reporter Tom Glover, pupils from year six, studying newspapers and journalistic writing, put their skills to the test.

After the interview Ms Grose said: “I think they did very well, their note taking was their challenge because it’s difficult for them to listen and get the main message but they did it very well and they helped each other by making sure they had all written down the key words.

“They all asked a question and they all took down the key notes so they shared it out very well between them. I think they know me quite well and they had thought about their questions.”

Lauren, Harriett, Leo, Imogen and Natalie (not pictured) wrote questions, took notes and typed up their interview as it is printed below.

Annabelle Grose, 38, has been headteacher at St Michael’s Primary School in Lyme Regis since September last year.

Having trained at Exmouth’s Rolle College Ms Grose has spent time at schools in Plymouth, Honiton and Charmouth before taking up her first headship last year.

When not teaching Ms Grose is a dedicated member of the Lympstone South West Telecoms Band who she regularly competes with playing tenor horn.

HOW long have you been a teacher?
Well, I have been a teacher for 15 years. This is my 16th year of being a teacher.

HOW many schools have you worked at and what were they called?
When I was a newly qualified teacher I worked in Littletown in Honiton, Branscombe CE VC, Charmouth and Whitleigh Community Primary in Plymouth. So this is the fifth primary school I have worked at.

WHAT is your favourite subject in school and why?
My favourite subject is English because I really enjoy sharing ideas especially as they are all individual ideas. When I taught in one of the schools, one particular girl was amazing at English, in fact she thought in a way that I didn’t. I was inspired by her. We learnt from each other. She shared her thinking and all of us progressed. So I have always listened carefully to children’s thinking.

WILL you make any big changes to the school and if so what?
Yes, I would like to make a learning link with the local community. We will also have strong national and global links. Also I don’t think that lessons always have to be inside school, that they can be outside of school as well, in shops, offices, work places, fields, the beach, the museum, anywhere really. Long term I would like us to be an environmentally friendly school.

WHAT inspired you to be a headteacher?
I always had a strong vision of ideas for schools, I love seeing children getting excited about their learning and I think being a headteacher is the best job to make learning amazing.

HAVE you ever taught in a different country or culture?
Yes, I taught in Uganda for just a week. Their knowledge and understanding is very different from UK children. They have a wonderful drive and aim for the best.

HOW long have you been in a brass brand?
Since I was in year six so that was 27-years-ago. I played in four different brass bands and I played the Tenor Horn in all of them. I still play now. Music is very important to me

WHAT is your favourite part of being a headteacher?
I like being able to communicate with the parents and community for the benefit of the children.

IS THIS the biggest school that you have ever taught at?
No, at Honiton, Littletown there were roughly 420 children there.

DO YOU like the fact that we have easy access to the church?
Yes, because it is a very special place and it is lovely to be able to use it. I like the fact that it has lots of opportunities to use it in the future. It is important that our children benefit from our church links.

IS THIS the job you wanted when you were younger?
No, first I wanted to be a weather lady (meteorologist) then a nanny and then I realised that I could be a teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment