Friday 8 July 2011

60 SECOND INTERVIEW: Dylan Hanby



DYLAN Hanby, 19, has lived in and around Bridport for most of life before recently moving to London to study for a photography degree. Apart from a couple of years living with family in America, Dylan grew up in Dorset and last year completed his photography, media studies and art A-levels at the Sir John Colfox School. After developing a love for photography at the age of 10-years-old, Dylan set his sight on pursuing his hobby as a career and is currently studying for a photography degree at Middlesex University. As a self-employed photographer Dylan mainly works with bands and theatre groups but occasionally does modelling work, following a chance encounter at university.

DO YOU prefer life in London to Bridport?
London is where it all happens and for my line of work it’s the place to be. But I do love coming back here.

WHAT inspired you to take up photography?
When I was about 10-years-old my dad gave me a basic digital camera and I’ve been taking photos ever since.

WHAT are your favourite things to photograph?
I used to love shooting landscapes but now I’m more into documentary shots and urban photogrpahy.
WHAT would be your dream job?
Working in film. Being sent to locations around the world to get photo board shots for films.

WHICH photographers do you admire?
Ansel Adams was one of the first photographers I looked at, his work inspired me to take photos.

WHAT would be your top three tips for an amateur photographer?
To get into photography you have to have the passion for it, dedication and technical skill. The first two are more important, you can pick up the third one over time.

HOW did you get into modelling?
Through my university course. A local photographer was there using the darkrooms, I started talking with them and they put me on to some modelling agencies. I remember them saying, “you’ve defiantly got the look”, ha ha.

IF YOU won the lottery, how would you spend the money?
I’d travel around the world with my girlfriend taking photographs everywhere I go.

ARE there any places you’d particularly like to visit?
I’d like to go back to Austin, Texas where I lived for a while and then travel around America. Also, I’d like to go to Italy where I have family and Thailand again.

WHERE do you see yourself in five years time?
No idea. Probably living in a place in London working under a photography company.

WHO would be your three dream guests at a dinner party?
Akira Kurosawa, director of some of my favourite films. Adam Duritz, lead singer of Counting Crows, my favourite band, and Henri Carter Bresson, one of my favourite photographers.

WHAT was the last book you read, film you watched and CD you listened to?
The last film I watched was Minority Report, the last book was 'Dazed and Confused', and the last CD was The Cinematic Orchestra.

No comments:

Post a Comment