Thursday 18 August 2011

60 SECOND INTERVIEW: Chris Clipson

COUNCILLOR Chris Clipson moved from South Somerset to Lyme Regis five years ago, saying he had found a “vibrant community”. A retired art teacher, Chris trained at Camberwell School of Art in London and Leeds University, and taught in Yorkshire, Doncaster and for 23 years at Stoke-sub-Hamdon in Somerset. In the May 2011 local elections, Chris was elected to Lyme Regis Town Council and is a big supporter of the town’s new Hub youth club. He is currently recovering from a busy week, as a member of the Lyme Regis Regatta and Carnival Committee, which is celebrating great success with their annual summer events. Chris is married to artist Camille and has two grown-up children.

WHY did you join Lyme Regis Regatta and Carnival Committee?
Having moved here I looked carefully at the various societies and eventually decided to join the regatta and Carnival Committee, as their needs seemed greatest, and still do!

WHAT is your favourite Regatta and Carnival Week event and why?
My favourite carnival activity so far has been the Walk Of Light torchlight procession because it’s a great coming together of a holiday community.

WHAT do you like about living in Lyme Regis?
I love Lyme Regis because of its people. There are many different characters here and everyone is very friendly towards each other, creating a comfortable atmosphere.

WHAT would you change about the town if you could?
I would like Lyme to constantly review its holiday face at the same time as working to support all those who live here, young and old.

WHY did you decide to run for town council?
I decided to become a town councillor to move agendas forward. I am amazed at the length of time it takes to improve anything, and I remain determined to speed up process so that we, as a town, can move forward.

WHAT are your other personal interests?
I still remain involved in my art activities. I am very interested in seaside architecture, beach hut history and the restoration of my Austin A35 van!

ARE you involved with any other local organisations?
I am a volunteer miller at the Town Mill and I am a member of Lyme Regis Gig Club. I hope to help in the construction of the club’s new gig, which will be called “Tempest”.

WHERE is your ideal holiday destination?
Having spent some summers in France, I now prefer closer destinations and my favourite is the West Wight, an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty on the Isle of Wight.

WHAT would you do if you won the Lottery?
If I won the Lottery, I would support my family's interests and would also wish to give encouragement to local good causes.

WHO would be your three ideal dinner guests?
My three ideal dinner guests would be one who would be willing to shop for ingredients, one who would love to prepare, cook and serve the meal, and one who was not averse to washing up!

No comments:

Post a Comment