Thursday 18 August 2011










Huge crowds and top atmosphere

THAT’S it – quick as a flash, Lyme’s main summertime events are over.

What a fantastic few weeks the town has had – packed beaches, great events and glorious weather (most of the time), all topped off with one of the best carnivals we’ve seen in recent years.

I didn’t get to see the carnival procession march by on Saturday night because I was in it, driving one of our View From Newspapers Smart Cars. As I drove into Broad Street I couldn’t quite believe the size of the crowd watching, and was stunned again as I turned on to Marine Parade, where another huge crowd was waiting – it made me quite nervous!

Although I didn’t get to see the procession in action, I got to see all the entries before starting in Holmbush Car Park. There was such a great atmosphere as everyone anxiously waited to get started, checked their costumes and the group entries practised their dance routines for the last time. A huge effort was put in by all!

After having so much fun in the car park, I was a little miffed I wouldn’t be walking in the procession along with my dad and sister Zoe, who handed out balloons to all the children on route.

Instead, I had chosen to drive because I had injured my leg rushing back and forth between the office and seafront to take photos over the past few weeks. But driving turned out to be just as much fun (and a lot less tiring!), as people waved and took photos of our novelty Smart Cars.

We had underestimated how many people would be watching the procession and ran out of balloons as we neared the end of the route. Sorry to any children who were disappointed.

Congratulations to Regatta and Carnival chairman Teresa Evemy, secretary Alan Vian for the huge effort he puts into the events, and all the hard-working committee for holding such a successful week of family fun.

There are still a few smaller summertime events coming up, but for now we can breath a sigh of relief, relax and watch as the town winds back down.


APOLOGIES to Lyme Regis Museum geologist Paddy Howe and marine biologist Chris Andrew.

I was supposed to join Paddy and Chris for one of their popular fossil walks on Saturday to write about in this column but, as previously mentioned, I injured my leg and was unable to go. I do hope to reschedule and take part in another walk soon.

The fossil walks are being held regularly throughout the year, even in the winter, and the cost includes free admission to the museum, where Mary Anning’s famous ichthyosaur is currently displayed.

For full details, dates and times visit www.lymeregismuseum.co.uk or phone 01297 443370.


Relaxing by the sea after carnival

AS the town recovered from its biggest night of the year – carnival – I was able to spend some of Sunday watching Lyme Regis Gig Club’s annual regatta, down on the Cobb.

Only in its second year but another great summertime event, with nine teams from across the South West competing in Lyme Bay.

I don’t know much about sailing or rowing but whenever I watch such events I always wish I was more involved in it – it seems like such a waste not to be when we live in the perfect setting.

The Mayor, Councillor Sally Holman – a sailor herself – has always been keen to teach me more, ever since she strapped me into a lifejacket and sent me out to sea to cover the Musto Skiff National Championships when I was 17 and had just joined the View From. Sally was, of course, also watching the gig regatta and explained to me what was happening as Lyme competed in the men’s and women’s finals.

Unfortunately we didn’t win, but I thought the racing was brilliant, with very close and exciting finishes.

The gig club has to be commended on its success since only starting up a few years ago. It already has two gigs, a third on its way soon, and a strong membership. I must see the teams practising in the bay almost everyday – what a great and active club to be a part of.

No comments:

Post a Comment