Wednesday 25 February 2015

60 SECOND INTERVIEW: John Ryan


WEYMOUTH Cricket Club chairman John Ryan was born in Weymouth, went to Portland Secondary Modern School and worked as a chef at Slingers restaurant before doing 11 years in Portland Dockyard as a caterer for Royal Marine Auxiliary Service ships. He was then assistant manager at Weymouth and Portland Snooker Club for seven years before winding up as a finance officer with Dorset County Council.

WHY do you live in Weymouth? 
Because I love being beside the sea and I go swimming a lot. Living on The Esplanade you have to!

WHERE do you go for your holidays? 
Funnily enough, I tend to go inland for my holidays, usually to London for sporting events. If I want some sun I go to Tenerife.

WHAT is your favourite time of the year? 
Summer because of the cricket. I love the sport and always have.

WHAT is your favourite film? 
Well, science fiction in general and Star Wars in particular because it just made such an impression on me when I saw it as a teenager.

WHAT is the scariest thing that has ever happened to you? 
I was in a hot rod car getting a lift back in Florida from Coco Beach to Orlando. We were doing 150mph down a freeway when hot oil began to leak on to my back, but I was too frightened to tell the hillbilly who was driving. No seat belts!

IF YOU could live your life again what would you be? 
I would love to have been a professional golfer. I played golf a bit when I was younger but never took it further.

WHICH three people would you invite to your dream dinner party? 
Kim Cattrall the actress because she’s a Liverpool fan and so am I, Muhammad Ali because he was an icon when I was younger and because he has fought adversity and still does. Lastly I’d invite Gordon Greenidge, the West Indian Test batsman, because I used to go and watch Hampshire and he was the one who made me interested in the sport.

No comments:

Post a Comment