Friday 8 January 2010

60 SECOND INTERVIEW: Chris Gough

THE president of the Rotary Club of Crewkerne, Chris Gough, has lived in South Petherton since 1996 following early retirement.

He was born in Croydon but came from Somerset parentage with his birth mother originating from Merriott.

The war caused him a nomadic life whilst growing up as an adopted child, with his family moving from Sussex, to Surrey and Devon and on the death of his father, he settled in Worthing and completed his education at Royal Russell School.

After school he joined the South Eastern Electricity Board, where he became a mains technician and Work Study Officer for 19 years.

Then he moved to Nottingham to become one of a team of Work Study and Operation and Maintenance Officers for Broxtowe Borough Council.
In 1980 he and his second wife Hazel, moved to Woking where he became Management Services Officer for North Surrey and Sutton District Water Companies. When he retired to Somerset he was asked to speak at the Rotary Club about Water Aid and consequently became a member.

WHAT do you like about this area?
It’s a case of returning to my roots, I love Somerset and the West Country. My late wife Hazel and I had a weekender here for eight years and when we both retired early, we decided this was the place to be.

WHAT about South Petherton in particular?
It’s the friendliness of the people and there is a lot of activity here. If I wasn’t tied up with my partner in East Stoke, I would be going out every night in the village. All in all I am very grateful to have found South Petherton.

IS there anything you would like to change?
Ever since I have been here, I have volunteered and been involved in lots of different activities from meals on wheels and the lunch club to the memorial light in the churchyard. There are many like me who have put something back into the community but I worry there are others coming in now who are younger, who don’t get so involved. It is an important part of village life and it would be nice to see more people doing it.

HAVE you made any New Year’s resolutions?
Yes, I am hoping to get fitter and lose the tummy but I’m not sure how. When I broke my ankle I went to the gym and swimming. I used to love it and a lot of my friends go the Aqua Centre in Crewkerne. I used to like cycling a lot so I might get a bike but I just had my 70th birthday in October so I’m not doing bad.

WHAT do you like most about being a Rotarian?
I like being with professional people. I am a Freemason as well and came to Rotary fairly late but the people are very friendly and professional. If you ask them to do something, they do it and do it well. I went to the international conference in Birmingham with fellow Rotarian Jeremy Clifford and it was interesting to see and meet people from all over the world. Rotary is not so much a club, it’s a way of life.

HAVE you ever met anyone famous?
When we were at the Rotary conference, we were entertained by the Welsh opera singer Katherine Jenkins, we all fell in love with her and I wrote her a letter asking her to join us at Rotary lunch in Crewkerne if she is ever down this way. The lads all laughed at me but she wrote a nice letter back.

WHAT three things would you want on your desert island?
A plentiful supply of stationary because I love writing, a good blanket to keep warm and a nice plentiful supply of something to drink, probably water . I hate to be cold and hate to be thirsty.

IF you won a lot of money what would you do?
If I won the lottery I always thought the first thing I would do would be to go to someone who knows what they are talking about and could tell me what to do with it. I have seen people who have suddenly got money because of a house sale or something and just blow it. I always say you can only spend money once.

HAVE you travelled much?
Yes, my late wife Hazel and I had travelled, we went on the nostalgic Orient express in the proper old 1920s carriages. We flew to Moscow and took the train from there to Mongolia and China. When we first came to Somerset we went to China too. We used to do battlefield tours as well. Since being with Gywn we have gone to New Zealand and Ireland. I would like to see more of Canada and America.

DO you have any unfulfilled ambitions?
I would like to lose my fear of the computer and use it more. I just got a new laptop but basically I don’t type, I think I’m too lazy. I love writing and Hazel wrote travelogues which I would like to get written up and published.

IF you could go to any period of history what would it be?
My father’s family were involved with Sir Thomas Wyatt the poet from the time of Henry VIII, his son was beheaded and tied up with Anne Boleyn so it would be interesting to meet up with some of those people.

www.viewfrompublishing.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment