Tuesday 26 January 2010

60 SECOND INTERVIEW: Meeri Wallace



















MERRI Wallace was born in Helsinki, Finland and moved to England in 1977 where she grew up on farms and small-holdings in Norfolk villages.

After leaving school Meeri moved to Swindon for a year and worked as an office clerk for a broadcasting company, then went to London to study until she had enough qualifications to go to Plymouth University where got a degree in psychology.

She lives in Hawkchurch with her partner Paul and two young daughters.

Meeri spends her days supporting Paul in running their electrical and security business and volunteering for the local branch of the National Childbirth Trust and Bumps and Babies group in Bridport.


WHAT is the National Childbirth Trust and what do they do?

The NCT has two sides. On the one hand they undertake research into maternity issues and campaign for better maternity services. At a local level they provide support, advice, information and services relating to pregnancy, childbirth and early parenthood.

WHAT is Bumps and Babies all about?
Bumps and Babies is the local face of the NCT, which are local drop-sessions run by local parents, where parents-to-be and new parents can meet up to seek the information/advice they need, make friends and get themselves out of the house with their babies. Occasionally, we have guest speakers. Some mums come along for a coffee and chat, but some mums come along to get specific support for a variety of difficulties they may be experiencing.

WHAT would you say to anyone considering going along to one of your groups and who would you recommend it to?

At Bumps and Babies you can meet lots of other mums in the same boat, exchange experiences, find out tricks and tips on feeding, weaning, sleeping matters. And talk through personal and relationship changes too. I would recommend Bumps and Babies to any new parent. The friends I made five-years-ago are still my friends today. I’ve met lots of lovely people and I hope I’ve been able to give something back.

BUMPS and Babies in Bridport was facing closure – how are things now?

The branch was facing closure after almost 25 years, but thanks to View From and an all-out plea we had a hugely successful AGM. We have a full house on the committee and lots of new mums hosting the drop-in sessions. Fundraising, social events, workshops and ante-natal classes are back in the calendar. We’ve also had to move premises, but have now found a lovely venue at St John’s Ambulance Hall on Rax Lane in Bridport.

WHY do you think it is important to have groups like Bumps and Babies?

Groups like Bumps and Babies give incentives to get out of the house, get some fresh air, engage in social activities for both parent and child. Becoming a new mum is probably the most intense life-changing event that we go through and it does change who we are. Some parents will find this a relatively easy transition, but some parents might lose a bit of confidence somewhere along the way and attending any social group can help you find your stride again.

WHAT were you like as a child?

A bit of a handful I think! I was always very lucky to be close to my mother and being the youngest in the family I suspect I was spoilt rotten. I remember being quite independent and confident and I’m prepared to accept that I was probably hard-work. I remember I got bored a lot and needed constant mental stimulation.

WHAT'S your earliest childhood memory?

Skiing. The winter just after my second birthday. I was following my sister out of the drive way in Finland and I can still remember looking down at my feet getting into the rhythm. In Finland, snow is a fact of life and children learn to ski very young.

IF YOU could live anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?

I’ve been lucky enough to have travelled a lot and Hawkchurch is where I want to be right now. I’ve never been to New Zealand, but it looks like a wonderful place to be with lots of space. Hawaii might be nice for a while. It’d be fun to watch the kids on beach all day surfing.

WHAT would you cook if you were on TV’s Come Dine With Me?

I love the idea of entertaining guests with a full on stylish dinner party. But it’ll never happen, the pressure of getting it right would be too much. Perhaps I’d go Finnish and cook up a traditional meal of reindeer and bear stew!

AND who would be your three dream dinner guests and why?

I would invite the Dalai Lama. I saw him doing a talk in London about 15-years-ago and he had such a lovely sense of humour, along with his incredible teachings. I’d also like to invite Goran Visjnic, who played Dr Luca Kovac in the American drama series ER. My final dinner guest would be the comdian Michael McIntyre. His observations on day to day human behaviour are spot on and utterly hilarious.

www.viewfrompublishing.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment