Friday 8 January 2010

60 SECOND INTERVIEW: John Pearce

YOU could say the key ingredient to the success of Alf’s Fish and Chip Shop is community spirit. Since taking over the fryers of the shop on Lynch Road four and a half years ago, John Pearce and his wife Karen have won countless awards for their involvement with the Weymouth’s community.

Cornishman John has been in the fast food business for 28 years and knows a thing or two about frying the perfect chip and which piece of fish makes the perfect accompaniment.

Here he talks about all those things plus his favourite Christmas carol, what shows he’ll put his feet up to watch over the festive period and which dish he would take with him onto a desert island.

How did you get into the fish and chip business?
Because I’m dyslexic couldn’t find any opportunities open to me and so I got into the fish and chip business simply because I had always been in the fast food trade. I was initially in Weymouth town centre.

What is the secret to a good chip?
First you need a fresh Maris Piper potato. Then you need to wash it thoroughly to remove all the starch and the pans (frying pans) must be kept clean at all times; so many people make the mistake of not doing that. And we use 100-per-cent vegetable oil.

What is the most popular dish?
Cod and chips, they will always be the staple of what we do, and people will always love them. But saying that, our gluten free range is also very popular. Some people come here especially for it because we don’t mix fryers, or cross fry, the ingredients.

Having won the community Seafish awards Contribution to the Local Community Award for the third year, what drives you to be so community minded?
I had a mother, who lived on her own, and I didn’t spend a lot of time with her because of working all the time, and we see in the news and papers all the time old people being mugged and I just want to make sure those people are being looked after. some of these people served in the war for us and I feel we should pay them back a little bit.

What makes a good fish and chip shop?
Good quality food at the right prices. The staff’s relationship with the customers and the over all cleanliness of the shop. It’s something that’s seen us become so successful, our relationship with the public in general; we get the police, fire brigade all walks of life coming here.

Have you any hobbies outside of work?
No. All my time is devoted to the shop and charity work. I went through a stage where people were donating furniture and I was giving it to people that needed it and spent my spare time with that, but since my angina attack I cannot do it any more.

What do you like about Weymouth?
It’s near the seaside and the beach and you get a good lot of tourists. But I think it’s the people in Weymouth, who are fantastic and have such a great community spirit which makes it such a good place to live.

What don’t you like about the town?
The parking, which is about to get a lot worse. The increase in business rates, that’s not helping the smaller businesses and basically the council in general. They are putting in roundabouts near my shop and a cycle path but they didn’t even consult us.

What three things would you buy if you won the lottery?
For myself, nothing - I’ve got everything I need: a great wife and children. I think I would spend some on a few pensioners here, some need cookers, some fridges and others washing machines, so I would give some money for that. And I think I would buy Karen a house on Greenhill near the sea front. I’m not a man that needs to show off with pocessions like a brand new car or anything.

What three things would you take with you onto a desert island?
Water, firstly. A radio so I could listen to Solent, because I like the music and way they have talking on there. And I’d take some food; it would probably be chips because they have all the nourishment in them and would keep you going.

www.viewfrompublishing.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment