Wednesday 24 November 2010

60 SECOND INTERVIEW: Gavin Tyte



The Reverend Gavin Tyte lives in Uplyme with his wife and children. At the age of 18, he travelled around the world with just his rucksack. After his trip, he began his work as a music technology teacher at a Higher Education college before training as a vicar in the New Forest.

After becoming an associate vicar in Bath, Gavin and his wife Lucy, worked together to run a successful community cafe helping those who were disadvantaged in Twerton.

In December last year, Gavin decided to move on and felt “God’s calling” to come to Uplyme as a vicar.

He is a keen fisherman and angler but perhaps Gavin’s greatest success is his music, where from an early age he pioneered and helped transform the beatboxing scene into what it is today.

by Laura Goldsbury Noy

WHAT is the main function of the church in Uplyme?
To help people encounter God and also to help people join in with God’s mission of the world. Our strap-line is joining in with the mission of God. God’s got a plan for the world he wants us to bless it. He wants us to look after it and he wants us to look out for people. So our invitation is for people to join in with that. That underpins everything we’re about. And when we get together, we sing we chat and we pray. We have fun as well. The church is a bunch of people that follow Jesus and are joining in with his mission of the world.

DO YOU welcome everyone and anyone into your church?
Our Sunday gatherings are very family friendly so all are welcome and all are valued. It doesn’t matter if you’re young or old; able or disabled and it doesn’t matter what age, sex, or sexuality. We try and welcome everybody and let them know that they are loved by God. As Christians we mustn’t judge people but love them. There is enough judging going on in the world without us joining in on the act.

WHAT’S the point of churches in a modern multi-cultural society?
Christianity has been in our culture for thousands of years. I think there is still a real connection with Christianity as a lot of people still pray and still believe. But I think the church is behind the times with the way things are done. In a lot of places, the church has become disconnected in the way it does things from culture and has become its own sub culture. It’s sad; we should be at the fore front as it’s still the largest voluntary organisation.

HOW long have you been involved in beatboxing?
I’ve been beatboxing since I was eight-years-old. I was making drum sounds and doing impersonations before I even knew it existed. It’s kind of stuck with me. In the 1990s, beatboxing was off the radar, so me and a few others created a web forum to connect those involved. It grew over time and now has over 60,000 registered members. We organised the world convention in 2003, which was the first time beatboxers all over the world had got together. I created the first audio and text tutorials and then when the internet got faster, created the world’s first video tutorials on how to beatbox.

ARE you still involved in beat boxing now you’re a vicar?
I still get asked to judge the UK championships and I still perform fairly regularly. That can be all over the place. Getting the whole royalty treatment as a judge is great. It’s like I’m the elder statesman of beatboxing even though I’m only 39. I’m old for that whole scene. The kids coming through now are just amazing.

DO you have any exciting events coming up?
I have my first public beatboxing performance down here, at the Lyme Regis Marine Theatre on the December 9th. I’m beatboxing with a good friend of mine, Hobbit. He was the finalist this year for beatboxing, so he’s the second best in the UK. He’s at the top of the game, and he’s mega in demand. There’s going to be some bands playing too so it’s going to be a good night. It’s £3.50 for under 16’s and £5 for adults.

DURING your travels, where was the best place you visted?
New Zealand was really great but I loved the Australian outback the most. I avoided the touristy bit as I hitchhiked most of the way. I saw all the bits you wouldn’t normally see. I loved the peace, the quiet, the warmth, the rock and the sand. It was a very barren place but there was something very special about it.

IF YOU were stranded on a desert island, what three items would you want with you?
I’d definitely have a bible. No, actually I’d have my laptop, because that’s got the bible on it already. I couldn’t be prized away from my laptop. I’d also like a microphone and a decent sound system. Then at least they’ll be some entertainment. I think I’d add some solar panels to power all of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment