Wednesday 17 November 2010

60 SECONDS INTERVIEW: Jenna Rogers



JENNA Rogers, 23, has recently graduated from Bournemouth University with a degree in Hospitality Business Development.

Jenna has spent her working life in the hospitality industry, working weekends and summer holidays at her mum’s establishment, Down House Farm CafĂ©, as well as working various part time jobs in other local pubs and restaurants.

During her degree Jenna also spent a yearlong work placement at a four star hotel in Wellington, New Zealand.

In her spare time Jenna is a keen runner, competing for Dorset at the English National Cross Country Championships, and representing Colfox School throughout her teenage years.

Having completed two half marathons, Jen is now training for 'The Grizzly' in March, and for the London marathon in April 2011.

WHAT do you like most about Bridport?
I love the arts, music and cultural scene that has developed in Bridport over the past few years. Several venues are excellent at supporting local acts of all varieties (music, performing arts etc), but they have also managed to attract some well known names to the area, which I think is incredibly good for such a small town. I also love the familiarity of small town life, the friendliness of people and the small independent stores selling quirky products.

WHAT would you like to change?
When I was 18 there were a few places my friends and I could go for a night out in Bridport on a Friday and Saturday Night, but since then the night life has deteriorated for the younger generation with places closing down or age restrictions. It is fine for me now I am older, but I see my friends’ younger siblings having to travel to Weymouth and even Yeovil for nights out as there is nowhere for them to go in their hometown. Surely it would be better for their money to stay being injected back into the town by opening up somewhere for them to go? It would also reduce the number of younger people getting drunk on the streets.

WHERE do you see yourself in five years time?
Ideally, having worked my way up to a managerial position in a global chain of hotels. Many global chains offer fantastic training and development programmes, and support the transfer of employees within the company to other properties worldwide.

WHAT from New Zealand culture would you like to see in England?
The laid back, friendly lifestyle that New Zealanders adopt. They are very social people. I also loved how the Maori culture still has a big presence within the country, and I think it would be nice to see a bit more English tradition encouraged here. New Zealand also promotes their country to their people, and it’s common for Kiwis to travel around just as much as tourists. I think it should be made more affordable to travel around this country, as I think England has so much to offer.

WHAT is the best part about working in hospitality?
Definitely meeting so many diverse and interesting people of different ages from different backgrounds and cultures. It makes every day different from the next; every day brings new challenges, and I find I am constantly learning. Also, the diversity of the industry and the opportunity to work in many different roles in a variety of forms globally.

IF YOU had a friend visit Bridport for one day, where would you take them?
I would start in the morning by taking them for a walk up to Thorncombe Beacon as I think it holds one of the finest views both out to sea, on a clear day you can see Lyme Bay from Start Point to Portland Bill, and back inland from Golden Cap, past Colmers Hill, over Bridport, and out to Eggardon. I would then take them for a hearty lunch in a village pub garden. Then, if it’s out of season, I would take them over to Lyme Regis for a stroll around the Cobb, and play some crazy golf in the gardens.

WHAT was the last book you read, CD you listened to and film you watched?
Stolen by Lesley Pearse - a very bizarre story which kept me gripped – not my usual choice of book to read, but someone gave it to me on the train. The last CD I listened to was a compilation a friend made for me, named ‘Uni days’ containing all the songs that reminded her most of the four years we spent at uni. The last film I watched was Planet of the Apes – one film I think they did the remake of very well.

WHO would be your three dream guests at a dinner party and why?
Jo Brand because I think she is hilarious. Kevin McCloud because I think he would be interesting to talk to, and I fancy him a little bit. Fearne Cotton because I think she is great and quirky.

No comments:

Post a Comment